Super Bowl

[Warning:  Nothing serious about Super Bowl...Nothing related to the game or the players...Just my babble/ramble about my life incidents related to Super Bowl]

 I like to go to the grocery on two specific days...
       the Wednesday before Thanksgiving
       and  Super Bowl Sunday...

The Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I go to Indian Grocery.  The Indian Grocery will be abuzz with our people buying stuff for Thanksgiving guests, talking with  Thanksgiving guests, planning everything(from the menu to the movie) for Thanksgiving guests.  My eyes do the gaping, my ears do the eavesdropping...C'mon...It is not my fault...when people talk others to hear, my ears do the needful... It brings a great  joy to listen to other people plan for their guests... I  start weaving a story around the talks, I continue weaving the story until I reach home. After reaching home, I take my computer to write the story....I draw a blank....It happens every time...Nevertheless I continue my tradition of going to the grocery on Thanksgiving Wednesday.

Coming to Super Bowl Sunday....  My son is too too too  much into football.  My son played for school football team....He breaths football....But I don't know anything about football .
......Eighteen years before, in the month of February we landed in America. We were newly landed couple.  Like every other newly landed couple, we used to  go to Costco(buy that red lid whole milk), Indian Grocery, American Grocery on the weekends.  Likewise, one Sunday in the month of February, we went to Safeway (American Grocery) .  It was the Super Bowl Sunday afternoon.  We had no clue about Super Bowl back then.  We were filling the  cart with English Vegetables, Gerber, Bread etc...While other shoppers were filling their cart with big bag of chips, ice, balloons, cutlery sets, soda, Heineken...I was thinking Heineken is a kind of soda. 

You know what?  I once went into a Beer and Wine Store.  I wanted to go to the grocery store which was right next to the Beer store.  I was whatsapping  seriously with my friend and stepped into the Beer Store....I lifted my head and was shocked to see all the bottles...Right at that moment , my husband imessaged...

"Are you in Kumon?"

"I'm in a Beer Shop"

"What?"

"I wanted to buy milk. I do not see any milk here.  But I see something here that costs less than milk.  can I buy that?"

"😡😡"

"Ok. fine. be like that..Drink beer coffee...sorry black coffee...ttyl"

After this conversation I came out of the beer store, went into the grocery store, got milk,  apple, bana....wait...what?why am I writing my grocery list here? 

(Coming back to where I left...) I was thinking Heineken is a kind of soda.We were standing in the line for billing...The person in front had so much of super bowl stuff in his cart the person behind us had super bowl in his cart, while we had bread, gerber, English Vegetables  in our cart......We did feel something big is going to happen but we had no clue. We did not have smart phones back then.....so we did not google "sunday grocery store cart chips, ballon, soda, ice....".  Incidentally, we had computer at home....but we did not google search.  But the grocery store incident  remained a mystery until someone apprised  us about Super Bowl...I was seriously surprised. The country as a whole is excited for a game (without any team affiliation).  And the excitement happily echoes in food....

The following year I went to the grocery store on Super Bowl Sunday just to see all that gaiety.  Year after that I went...year after that I went.....and the ritual continues....

Although I go to grocery once in a week, twice in a week, twice in a day...I like to go to the grocery on two specific days....

No comments:

Post a Comment